Friday, January 19, 2007

What is your favorite media?

I would have to say, my cell phone is my favorite. I don't leave home without it. If I would have to give it up, I'm not sure how I would react. I guess I would just be lost and disconnected. It's the easiest way for me to keep in touch with people, especially since I'm always on the go. I would probably resort to sending emails to everyone, but they feel so emotionless and empty to me. Think about it. Right now you really have no idea what state of mind I'm in. I could be happy, sad, angry... anything. The only clues you get to my state of mind are the words I choose to use, which can often times be very vague. I guess what I'm saying, is I would miss the human interaction the most. Now I know, talking on the phone isn't the same as seeing them in person, but it's pretty darn close. Also, it's an immediate form of communication. Unlike and email or a letter, it could take that person and where from minutes to days to get your message (depending on how often they check their email).
The other thing is, even if I can't physically speak to them at that moment for some reason, I'll text message them. Texting is also a fast way to get in touch with someone, even if it's just to say "Hi, have a nice day." I enjoy the random messages that let me know that people are thinking about me, even if it's only for a minute.

4 comments:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

How fast of a text messenger are you?

Ashley J. said...

i agree with the human contact thing jess...you really can't get your point across in the same way unless your able to see facial expressions!

B. Weaver said...

The phone as point to point communication can be an intimate medium. So how do you see the phone more personal/intimate over IM?

Jessica said...

I think the phone is a bit more personal being that you can actually hear them. I've gotten pretty good at texting... but even then it's only to Andy to say I love you or I'll see you in a bit.